LEG 5 – SATURDAY 17 JUNE
Treviglio, Stezzano, Bergamo, Provaglio d’Iseo, Ospitaletto, Gussago
On the fifth day, before greeting Bergamo, that together with Brescia, are the Italian Capital of Culture 2023, the competing cars crossed the Bergamo territory passing through Treviglio, Stezzano, the Kilometro Rosso and then headed to the finish line in Brescia through Provaglio D’Iseo, Ospitaletto and Gussago.
Treviglio welcomed the Red Arrow for the second time
Probably founded between the 5th and 6th centuries from the union of three Roman villas, hence the name Tre villae and therefore Treviglio, the town’s wealth and autonomy grew in the Middle Ages.
Surrounded at the time by a triple defensive moat, its purpose was purely agricultural and it developed greatly from the 14th century onwards.
The 16th and 17th centuries, on the other hand, represented the most difficult period for the town: initially a land disputed between France and the Republic of Venice, then between France and Spain, it was raided in 1509 by the Venetians and risked a second and terrible raid by the French army commanded by General Lautrec in 1522, which was only avoided thanks to a miraculous intervention: the fresco of the Madonna and Child preserved in the Augustinian Monastery began to cry and convinced the general to lay down his arms. A great development occurred in the 19th century due to the arrival of the railway. The excellent connections, which still today make Treviglio easily reachable from Milan, Cremona, Bergamo, Verona and Venice, gave a boost to the industrial development of the town, as well as to social development: public schools were founded, which still today attract many students from all over the Lombardy region, as well as philanthropic associations, excellent services and, between the 19th and 20th centuries, the Public Library and the Civic Museums.
The 1000 Miglia in Stezzano, cradle of technological innovation and Bergamo’s green lung
Stezzano is located in the southern plains of Bergamo, the city it borders on, and its roots date back to Roman times: in fact, it has always played an important role thanks to its position along the military road that connected Milan to Bergamo. The historical centre is an interesting example of a fortified agricultural village of medieval origin, still intact in its structure. It is mainly characterized by historic period buildings, agricultural courtyards and many large noble villas: Villa Moroni, Villa Moscheni, Villa Maffeis/Grumelli-Pedrocca (currently the town hall), Villa Morlani and Villa Caroli-Zanchi. Also worth mentioning in the Stezzano area are the parish church dedicated to St John the Baptist, the Shrine dedicated to the Madonna dei Campi, the small 16th century church on the border with Bergamo and the characteristic fountain, known as ol Surbù, built on the occasion of the passage of Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria in 1838. Considering the ratio between the surface area of the municipality and the number of parks, currently 13, Stezzano constitutes one of the largest green lungs in the Bergamo hinterland and is also home to numerous national and international companies in the fields of logistics, technological innovation, braking systems production, energy and automation.
Second consecutive passage of the 1000 Miglia through Bergamo in the year of the Capital of Culture
Bergamo is one of the richest and most characteristic capital cities of northern Italy: set in a system of hills that has been a Regional Park since the 1970s, the city is characterised by its different souls (linked by historical villages of considerable interest): the historical centre of Città Alta, surrounded by the mighty Venetian Walls built at the end of the 17th century and a UNESCO Heritage Site, and Città Bassa, the modern part of the city. A city of art and culture (this year’s Italian Capital of Culture with Brescia), Bergamo is at the centre of one of the most innovative and productive areas on the European continent, and is the second largest manufacturing district by added value in the old continent.
The 1000 Miglia among the treasures of Lake Iseo
A link between the lake and the hills, Provaglio d’Iseo encompasses precious art and natural treasures such as the Torbiere del Sebino and the Cluniac Monastery of San Pietro in Lamosa, making it a truly unique place. The Monastery, founded in the 11th century and still one of the most interesting Romanesque complexes in the province of Brescia, dominates the Torbiere del Sebino, a Nature Reserve of international importance. The area is also rich in interesting historical buildings: Palazzo Francesconi, once a noble residence and today the prestigious seat of the Town Hall; the 16th-century Sanctuary of the Madonna del Corno, externally decorated with frescoes of which some parts still remain, built around the beginning of the 16th century and dedicated to the Annunciation of the Madonna. The Castle, an ancient building complex, bears witness to the importance this place has had since the Middle Ages: the ancient medieval fortress, which archaeological excavations and restoration work are bringing to light and enhancing. Worthy of note is also the small Church of San Bernardo, dating back to the second half of the 15th century.
Grace and simplicity among the hills and the plains in Brescia
Halfway between Brescia and Lake Iseo, Rodengo Saiano overlooks the plains, nestling on the hills (Monte Pianello, Monte Delma, Colle della Rocca) where the Torrente Gandovere and the Seriola Molinaria flow.
Its rural origin has been somewhat altered in recent decades by demographic pressure from the city. Nevertheless, the testimony of the settlements that gave rise to the town remains alive, noticeable in the ancient walls and manor houses that characterise each district.
The historical and architectural elements that most characterise the area are the Franciscan Calvary on Mount Delma, today the seat of the Symposium Academy, the deconsecrated church of San Salvatore, which today hosts cultural events of all kinds, and above all the Olivetana Abbey, a religious complex founded in 1090 inside which it is possible to admire Romanino’s frescoes. The many centuries of the Abbey’s history have given us a building whose richness contributes to an ensemble that as a whole expresses grace and simplicity.
To compensate for the cumbersome presence of the arterial roads and productive and commercial activities, in addition to the paths that cross the woods of the hills, a number of urban oases (the Frantoio park, the Ciclodromo, the Ortoparco, the Ortobosco) allow you to enjoy the greenery and quietness on your doorstep.