THE 1000 MIGLIA IN THE HEART OF THE PLAINS OF VERONA
Originating from some Bronze Age settlements, Bovolone was a possession of the Bishop of Verona, who established one of his residences in the Bishop’s Palace. In the post-war period, it developed as an agricultural centre and an area for the production of classic furniture.
Among the most interesting sights are the ancient Pieve di San Giovanni Battista and the Oratorio San Biagio, of which the original bell tower remains and inside which several 16th-century paintings are kept. There is also the Cathedral of San Giuseppe, with its beautiful marble floor, the 130-pipe organ in the apse and the Della Scala-era sarcophagus containing the remains of Bishop Nicolò Ormaneto.
Near Piazza Scipioni, the site of the Perseus War Memorial, is the Bishop’s Palace, now the Town Hall, the Municipal Library and the Local Police Station.
Finally, the Menago Valley Park covers an area of about 35 hectares between the Menago River and the Fossa Nuova and is accessible from Piazzale Mulino; it includes a large picnic area and an animal enclosure. Finally, on the small island in the centre of the lake, it is possible to visit the reconstruction of the prehistoric village.