TREVIGLIO WELCOMED THE RED ARROW FOR THE SECOND TIME
Probably founded between the 5th and 6th centuries from the union of three Roman villas, hence the name Tre villae and therefore Treviglio, the town’s wealth and autonomy grew in the Middle Ages.
Surrounded at the time by a triple defensive moat, its purpose was purely agricultural and it developed greatly from the 14th century onwards.
The 16th and 17th centuries, on the other hand, represented the most difficult period for the town: initially a land disputed between France and the Republic of Venice, then between France and Spain, it was raided in 1509 by the Venetians and risked a second and terrible raid by the French army commanded by General Lautrec in 1522, which was only avoided thanks to a miraculous intervention: the fresco of the Madonna and Child preserved in the Augustinian Monastery began to cry and convinced the general to lay down his arms. A great development occurred in the 19th century due to the arrival of the railway. The excellent connections, which still today make Treviglio easily reachable from Milan, Cremona, Bergamo, Verona and Venice, gave a boost to the industrial development of the town, as well as to social development: public schools were founded, which still today attract many students from all over the Lombardy region, as well as philanthropic associations, excellent services and, between the 19th and 20th centuries, the Public Library and the Civic Museums.